Sewing

Corduroy Pants

This is my second time sewing up the Dawn Jeans pattern by Megan Nielsen. You can see my first pair of Dawn Jeans here. This time I made the wide leg version. Like before, I cut a size 4 in the waist and blended to a size 6 in the hips with no other pattern alterations. The fit is roomy and comfy. The fabric is a cotton pinwale corduroy with some mechanical give. I’m continuing to slowly make progress on stash busting! This corduroy has been in my stash for 6 years.

The first pieces I started sewing were the pockets. I was using a heavy jeans needle without thinking too much of it. Once I started sewing through multiple layers, the machine started struggling to sew through the fabric at all. I tried a smaller needle, which immediately helped the problem. The issue was that the heavy jeans needle was too large to sew through the fine weave of the corduroy. When it did pierce through the fabric, it damaged the integrity of the fabric by creating holes. I didn’t realize how much damage was done until after I washed the pants for the first time. As you can see in the photos, the top edges of the back pocket are noticeably frayed. I’m not upset about it, but I did learn a valuable lesson! In the future, I may test my needle size before a big project, including washing a sewn swatch to check for damage. I am grateful I changed the needle when I did, otherwise the entire pant might have fallen apart at the seams! I have washed these pants a bunch already, and it seems to be holding up. šŸ™‚

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *