Designs,  Sewing

Burgundy Skirt

This button-front skirt made in polyester/cotton broadcloth is my most recent pattern drafting project. Starting from my sloper, I closed the darts, balanced the side seams, added pleats, and drafted a straight waistband with 1.25″ positive ease. I started with less ease, but added more since it was initially too tight. The finished waistband is comfortable for sitting, but I find that it’s a bit too big to sit exactly at waist as intended. For future skirts, I plan to either incorporate a bit of elastic in a straight waistband or draft a contoured waistband that sits slightly lower on the body so that the extra room for sitting is available, but the skirt will sit in the intended location when standing. Other than the small issue with the waistband fit, I’m quite happy with the skirt overall. This skirt is a first prototype (or wearable muslin) of sorts, as I have plans to use a nicer fabric for the next version.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *