This is my first time sewing and owning a bodysuit, in particular. It was fun and easy to make, and I like how it gives a nice tucked-in look with jeans. The bodysuit is very form-fitting though, which can easily result in one’s bra outline showing through. I found the fabric on clearance at the supermarket, and I really like the soft handfeel and warm color. I like the 3/4 sleeve length okay, but I think I would prefer long sleeves if I made this again.
Pattern: Rowan by Megan Nielsen
Version: bodysuit with crew neck and 3/4 sleeves
Fabric: jersey, polyester/spandex blend
While cutting out, I made the small mistake of clipping some of the notches along the neckline. Afterward, I realized that clipping this material could cause a vertical run in the fine gauge knit. I’ll know better for next time!
I set up my overlock machine to sew a four-thread mock safety stitch for the mainseams, and I managed to sew a small piece of clear elastic into each shoulder seam, which was tricky to do with the overlocker.
For the sleeve hem finish, I initially tried to use coverstitch, but I kept having issues with the thread not unwinding smoothly from the spools (they weren’t thread cones, just small spools). So ultimately, I used a twin needle on my sewing machine. It was my first time using a twin needle, which was very easy to do. It worked sufficiently for the sleeve hem, but twin needle lockstitch definitely does not provide as much stretch as coverstitch.
The snaps I used were just hammered on, but ideally an anvil or handheld snap setter would be used if one had to apply snaps regularly. The hammering method has a tendency to bend the male side of the snap out of shape. I bent one of my snaps slightly, but thankfully it still snaps together.
Overall, this was a fun project, and I learned a few things along the way!