• Designs,  Sewing

    Burgundy Skirt

    This button-front skirt made in polyester/cotton broadcloth is my most recent pattern drafting project. Starting from my sloper, I closed the darts, balanced the side seams, added pleats, and drafted a straight waistband with 1.25″ positive ease. That much ease is comfortable for sitting, but I find that the waistband is a bit too big to sit exactly at waist as intended. For future skirts, I plan to either incorporate a bit of elastic in a straight waistband or draft a contoured waistband that sits slightly lower on the body so that the extra room for sitting is available, but the skirt will sit in the intended location when standing.…

  • Sewing

    Corduroy Pants

    This is my second time sewing up the Dawn Jeans pattern by Megan Nielsen. You can see my first pair of Dawn Jeans here. This time I made the wide leg version. Like before, I cut a size 4 in the waist and blended to a size 6 in the hips with no other pattern alterations. The fit is roomy and comfy. The fabric is a cotton pinwale corduroy with some mechanical give. I’m continuing to slowly make progress on stash busting! This corduroy has been in my stash for 6 years. The first pieces I started sewing were the pockets. I was using a heavy jeans needle without thinking…

  • Sewing

    ABQFI Production

    Earlier this month, I went back to New Mexico to participate in the production phase of the ABQ Fashion Incubator volunteer program. The goal of this event was to produce children’s winter coats for charitable donation to a community in need. I wrote a quick blog entry about the pre-production phase in July. This time, I spent 5 days at the sewing factory with approximately 25 other volunteers. The first day, we got to work plotting the marker, spreading the fabric, and cutting. The cutting took about 3 days. The fabrics we used included a wool melton coating and kasha satin lining. We spread the fabric 15 plies thick, and…

  • Sewing

    Khaki Dawn Jeans

    Last month I sewed up my first pair of jean style pants! The pattern is Dawn Jeans by Megan Nielsen. I made the straight leg version. Following the size chart, I cut a size 4 in the waist and blended to a size 6 in the hips with no other pattern alterations. I found the pattern easy to follow, although I wanted to find an easier way to sew the fly, so I followed the method shown in this Youtube video by Taylor4u. My machine (a Janome 8077) handled this project well until I reached the waistband. Then the bulky seams led to some challenges. The machine pushed through though, and…

  • Sewing

    A Simple Dress

    For a long time, I’ve wanted to dive deep into pattern making. I’ve been dabbling for quite a while, but now I’m hoping to begin making greater progress. Earlier this year, I drafted a new set of slopers after having outgrown my old ones. I used the European method as taught by Elizabeth Allemong in her self-published book European Cut. I have had wonderful luck with this method and highly recommend it to others! Now I am beginning to apply basic pattern making techniques to create style patterns. I’ve studied pattern making in school and through independent study, but for this knowledge to become practical, I have to apply it…

  • Sewing

    ABQFI Pre-Production

    Earlier this month, I attended a four-day pre-production program in Albuquerque, New Mexico, hosted by Kathleen at ABQ Fashion Incubator. Approximately 10 volunteers came to this planning and training event where we learned about what is involved in preparing for apparel production. Pre-preproduction was phase 1, and the next trip will be phase 2: production! The goal of this volunteer program is to produce children’s coats for charity. Below I’ve listed some of the topics we learned about during the pre-production phase. I won’t go into too much detail about all I learned, but if you’re interested, I encourage you to take a look at the wealth of information on…

  • Sewing

    Heidi Pullover

    For years I’ve admired the designs of Anna Allen Clothing Company, and now I’m excited to see that Anna is beginning to publish sewing patterns! I sewed up a top using her Heidi Pullover pattern and a navy blue linen from my fabric collection. I’m very happy with the result! The pattern features a v-neck with neckline facing detail, a two-piece back yoke, a gathered back, and vented side seams. The diagrams and photos included in the sewing directions were helpful, although a beginner may find the instructions a little vague. The size I made fits me well with no fit modifications. However, I did modify the length of the…